Israeli settlers dumped their sewage on a Palestinian school in the northern occupied West Bank district of Qalqilia yesterday.
The Azzun Beit Amin School playground was flooded with sewage for the second time in two months as a result of the settlers’ actions.
Principal Alaa Marabeh said it would take more than ten days for the sewage water to dry and this has caused a foul smell to spread across the school building and risks damaging the students’ health.
The settlers live in the nearby illegal settlement of Sha’arei Tikva which is home to some 4,000 Jewish settlers.
Since it occupied the West Bank in the Six Day War of 1967, Israel has pursued a continuous policy of illegal settlement. Israeli human rights organisation B’Tselem estimates that as of the end of 2015 there were 127 Israeli government-sanctioned settlements in the West Bank and a further 100 outposts, which do not have government recognition. Although Israel differentiates between settlements and outposts, both are illegal under Article 49 of the Fourth Geneva convention which prevents the transfer of civilian populations into occupied territory.
Israel settlers flood Palestinian farmland with sewage.
Israeli Jewish settlers flooded Palestinian farmland with sewage in Beit Amer neighbourhood on the outskirts of the West Bank city of Hebron, the Safa news agency reported yesterday.
Activist Yousef Abu-Maria told Safa that the settlers from the illegal Jewish-only settlement of Etzion channelled wastewater on to the Palestinian farmlands.
The activists also said that the wastewater flooded more than 10 dunams (0.01 square kilometres) of farmland planted with fruitful trees owned by a number of Palestinian farmers.
More farmlands are expected to be affected if the wastewater is not channelled elsewhere, he added.
Israel settlers attack Palestinian families in Hebron
A group of Israeli settlers attacked Palestinian families and attempted to take over two homes on Saturday in the southern occupied West Bank city of Hebron.
Local activist Aref Jaber told Ma’an that a group of Israeli settlers “attacked” two homes in the Old City and attempted to take them over, demanding the families leave their homes.
The homes belonged to the Jaber and Kfeisheh families.
Jaber added that the same group of settlers had previously taken over a home belonging to the Al-Zaatari family, near the Ibrahimi Mosque in the Old City.
“These continuous threats by Israeli settlers are meant to terrify Palestinian families in order to force them to leave their homes.”
Some 6,500 Palestinians and 800 notoriously aggressive Israeli settlers live in the Old City of Hebron, according to a 2016 report by legal rights NGO BADIL.
Palestinian residents of the Old City face a large Israeli military presence on a daily basis, with at least 32 permanent and partial checkpoints set up at the entrances of many streets.
Additionally, Palestinians are not allowed access to Al-Shuhada Street, with any homes and shops on the street having been welded shut. Israeli settlers however move freely on the street.
The Israeli occupation “expropriated” large areas of the Ibrahimi Mosque and allocated it for Jewish use only following the 25 February 1994 massacre of Muslim worshippers by a settler. US-born Israeli Baruch Goldstein walked into the Ibrahimi mosque in Hebron armed with a Galil assault rifle.
Goldstein opened fire at the hundreds of Muslim worshippers who were at the mosque during Ramadan, the month of fasting. He reloaded at least once, continuing his barrage for as long as possible before finally being overpowered and eventually beaten to death. By the time he was stopped, 29 worshippers were killed, and more than a hundred had been injured.
In response, Israeli occupation forces set up a “closed military zone” around the mosque, restricting Muslim access to it, and “annexed” a large area of it for settler use.
SHARE THIS POST