Earl’s Court station evacuated as delays hit five Tube lines and the Overground

Commuters also told to leave Chiswick Park station after person hit by train

Two Tube stations were evacuated in rush hour as commuters faced delays on five Tube lines and the Overground.

Police, London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade were seen entering Earl’s Court station on Thursday as crowds were led outside while the evacuation alarms sounded.

British Transport Police said police were called to the station shortly before 9am following concerns for the welfare of a person on the tracks.

The station was evacuated, while officers helped them to safety.

The force said a person was also hit by a train at Chiswick Park. They died at the scene, BTP said.

The District line was suspended between Turnham Green and Ealing Broadway following the incidents.

It came as a signal failure at Green Park also sparked minor delays on the Jubilee line, while passengers using the Central line faced minor delays between White City and Leytonstone eastbound due to an earlier faulty train.

The Piccadilly line was suspended between Hammersmith and Acton Town westbound and there were severe delays on the rest of the line due to the incident at Earl’s Court on the District line, and there were minor delays on the Circle line.

Meanwhile the London Overground was part suspended between Highbury & Islington and Dalston Junction.

And there were minor delays between Dalston Junction and Crystal Palace / New Cross / Clapham Junction / West Croydon due to a signal failure at Whitechapel, and between Richmond and Stratford due to trespassers on the track at Homerton.

Pictures shared on social media showed the London Air Ambulance landing near to Earl’s Court.

Witnesses reported a large number of emergency services attended the station as huge crowds of commuters were led away.

One woman, known as @RandomSarahUK wrote: “Emergency at #earlscourt station. Many Police cars, helicopters, fire tenders, ambulances at the station- more coming. Station evacuated and closed.”

LFB said two fire engines attended the scene.

The incident led to a part suspension and delays on the Piccadilly line.

In a separate incident, BTP and LAS were scrambled to Chiswick Park station on the District line shortly before 9am on Thursday after reports of a person being struck by a train.

A person was later pronounced dead at the scene.

London’s Air Ambulance was filmed landing near to the station as passengers were evacuated.

Meanwhile commuters using the Jubilee line on Thursday morning vented their frustration on social media as the service was running with severe delays during rush hour.

Pictures showed packed trains and long queues at stations including London Bridge and Canary Wharf after an earlier signal failure at Green Park.

Some reported journeys taking more than two hours.

One woman known as @_jabx on Twitter wrote: “AVOID @jubileeline two and a half hours to make a 40 minute journey1!”

TfL implemented crowd control measures at Waterloo station to reduce congestion during the delays.

The station was opened as normal shortly before 10am.

The Jubilee line was operating with minor delays at around 10.30am, TfL said on Twitter.

BTP said in a statement: ” Officers were called to Earl’s Court station at 8.50am today after concerns for the welfare of a person on the tracks.

“Officers attended alongside the colleagues from the London Ambulance Service, and a person was taken to a place of safety.”

The force added on the incident at Chiswick Park: “Officers were called to Chiswick Park Underground station at 8.55am today after reports of a person being struck by a train.

“Colleagues from the London Ambulance Service also attended, however, a person was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

“Officers are working to identify the person and inform their family.

“This incident is not currently being treated as suspicious.”

London Fire Brigade said: “Firefighters were called to Earl’s Court Tube station at 8.57am to reports of a person on the track.

“The incident was over for the LFB at 9.15am and no action was required. Two fire engines attended the station.”